Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pressure Cooker

I may have been a wee bit frustrated and angry in my last post.  It seems like no one knows anything to tell any of the soldiers and so we are all left in the dark about what's happening.  I always said there are three things in a man's life you don't fool with:  His wife, his truck and his paycheck.  Jon's car broke yesterday and we still have no idea if and when he's getting paid or even how much it will be when it happens.  Being away from your family and having everything fall to crap can make you feel like you're in a pressure cooker all by itself but not knowing if you're even getting paid when you're supposed to puts that much more stress on a man.  Being the protective woman that I am of my family, I will fight for my man with anyone that wrongs him.  I have had to use a lot of restraint and let him deal with things how he has needed to because no one will talk to a military wife!  Trust me, when we had all of those issues with the VA, I called and cussed those folks out.  All they did is put me on the "Do not speak with" list and I was put on hold until the call magically disconnected!  We are fortunate that Jon's dad knows someone in the Brigade who is higher up in rank and can generally offer up some answers of AT LEAST who to talk to that will know something about what Jon's issue is!  The problem is communication.  None of the guys Jon is working with know what's going on and if they do, they have issues communicating it!  We have been told that we SHOULD be getting the BAH Type I (the higher amount) but I will believe it when I see it!

We're also being told that Jonathan will be leaving January 25th-26th to go to Texas for ANOTHER class for 6 weeks.  Let's see... that's 3 wedding anniversaries taken away from us by the military in 5 years including next year.  Our back up has always been April 14 since that was the day we started officially dating but I don't think he has EVER been home for that one!!!  He's always been training, deployed or at drill.  We were able to spend our 2 year anniversary together but I was very ill waiting for my gall bladder surgery and then last year I was pregnant and we were preparing for his brother's wedding so I was also kind of sick and we were rushing around picking up clothes from fittings.  We actually had plans this year to go to the shooting range so he could teach me how to use his gun and then we were going to have dinner at Caprese.  He was able to score a bunch of free rounds from the police right before he left that they were going to scrap out, so we'll basically have to pay for the shooting lane (which is fairly cheap from what I understand).  I got one of those gift certificates from Restaurant.com for Caprese for a whole $1.20 and it's $25 off a $35 meal.  So, we had a cheap and fun evening planned.  I think it's fun anyway.  It's different from anything we've ever done before but it also serves a purpose and doesn't blow our limited budget (again, the pay issues).

Well, cross your fingers with me that Jon gets his promotion and orders this week.  And cross your toes that he gets paid on the 15th!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment